Just when you thought that your baby has joined the family and well, life is all roses no thorns are you struck down by naked reality of the responsibility that a baby comes with. Really??? I mean weren't all those 9 months of throwing up, exhaustion,headaches,out of proportion body enough of a sacrifice for the baby? Apparently NOOOO! That was just the yummy part.
Having a baby is the most beautiful experience,well,lets just not consider those banana spilts and angel cakes and hershey's kisses and.. ahemm ahemmm... Oh dear me! excuse my "thought feeds" in middle of my posts. They just keep happening. So, lets get back to my point, all that im saying is "Congratulations!You have just won yourself an unlimited supply of baby drool, baby poop,spit ups and baby tantrums and we have a special surprise for you a year's supply of sleep deprivation too.!!" At the risk of sounding extremely negative, newborns are beautiful but there are a kazillion things you have to remember about them when they are having their transitions. A few are:
- Make sure you give your baby his milk at a 3-4 hour interval.
- Make sure you burp him up after his feed preferably within 5-10 minutes. I've noticed that my baby has a huge spit up after his feed if i don't let him rest at that 5-10 minute break.
- Burping the baby has to be done with gentle strokes on his back when he's lying on your shoulder.
- Decide if you prefer a crib or co-sleeping.
- If you opt for a crib, make sure that the baby upholstery is washed and cleaned atleast once a week,see that it has no sharp ends,invest in good HYPOALLERGENIC beddings.
- Try to invest in organic hypoallergenic beddings,it's more breathable and comfortable for your baby.
- If you opt for co-sleeping,please make sure you are not overpowering the baby's space. If you are a deep sleeper and a" stretch my guts off kinda mommy" then co-sleeping is out of bounds for you.
- Invest in organic cotton clothes for the newbie.
- Please please do not overdress your newborn. I understand the concern of new mothers who find their newbies so fragile that they instinctively have a maternal shield that in some weird way coaxes them into overdressing the baby.Please remember that your baby just needs 1 layer more than your dressing.If you are on 1 blanket,then the baby requires 2 not 5. Overdressing is a dangerous and can even cause death.
- SIDS(Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is the risk that arises due to overdressing that causes suffocation or asphyxiation.
- Do not buy your baby clothes for the upcoming winter or summer. Clothes remain the same but your baby outgrows them.You have absolutely no idea of how fast they grow.What seemed perfect last month can end up pinching his bottom this month.
- If you plan to breastfeed,then do remember to buy nursing pads and a good quality breast pump. Breast pumps are of 2 types manual and electric. If you are a working woman an electric pump would go a long way for you. So choose carefully.
- If you plan to bottle feed your baby please ask help from your health adviser or your paediatrician regarding the baby formula.Every baby is different something that suits your neighbour's baby might not be right for yours.If your baby is a preemie you will be asked to use a formula that allows your baby to catch up with other babies.
- Learn and master the art of bottle sterilization.Remember your bottles are good only upto 24 hours after which they lose their sterility.
- Sterilize by boiling or steam sterilization. There are tons of great sterilizers out there that have different catchy uses,but it all comes down to one thing boiling or steam you need to use it within 24 hours.
- Use BPA free bottles,toys and BPA free cleaning brushes.It's Bisphenol-A,its a cause of worry because research shows that BPA may seep through food and beverages and cause a variety of problems for the newborn ranging from heart problems to brain developmental problems.
- Do not use talcs on the baby's skin for atleast a month.From my experience it really does create a havoc,its better to leave the baby in his natural, unaltered form for a month.Same applies for baby colognes.
- Invest in good brands of baby soaps,body foams,bathrobes,baby mittens,nappy creams,bottom butters,body oils,body lotions and if your baby is blessed with good hair then a shampoo.Believe me that is all that they need in their first months.Not much of a list over there.
- Make sure all the baby toiletries are "PARABENS FREE".
- A bathing seat which has anti-slip holds must be kept in mind.
- Anti-slip bath mats for you so that you don't happen to land yourself in trouble with the baby in your arms.
- Invest in a good sunscreen for the baby. It's an absolute must have.
- Invest in the best diapers that you can afford in the baby's first few months.You will thank me for it later. Make sure the diapers are made out of breathable fabric.Brands like pampers,mamy poko pants,huggies etc. are just a delicious dream for the baby.
- If you are going to go eco-friendly and opt for fabric diapers then you really have nothing much to worry about except the laundry ofcourse. Let me make that immediate laundry.
- No food or water for the baby for his first 6 months,irrespective of what your grandmother says. Proven by the AAP (American Academy of Pa.ediatrics). Here is an excerpt from "www.about.com" The American Academy of Pediatrics actually states that "until your baby starts eating solid foods, he'll get all the water he needs from breastmilk or formula."
- Lastly,remember that no baby grows more happily than the one whose caretaker is happy.So,remember to do yourself a favour and be happy throughout.Shower your baby with hugs and kisses.There's hardly anyone more receptive than them to love.
Now with all that little bit of information you are ready to go ahead and take your first baby steps in caring for your baby.Enjoy your experience with your little one.Your baby may demand for something more or maybe not as much as you thought so.The angel that you possess is just yours,just that exclusive piece that nobody else has,so its only fair that it comes with a high price tag and maintainence. Keep enjoying your Mommyhood.. cheers!!