Click here for shortcuts to regional language blogs and city-specific events.
Recently, there was a news about a Telugu Serial actor, who committed Suicide. Last year unfortunately, actress Pratyusha Banerjee, who was a promising actress committed suicide, before that it was Jia Khan, before that it was Nafisa Joseph ... these are just a few prominent names of famous people who unfortunately ended their lives due to some unexplained circumstances. In India, every hour almost one student commit suicides. What are the possible reasons that students feel committed suicide will end their problems. Are we being too harsh on our students or do we as parents fail to make them strong to face the problems ?
Hereunder are a few reasons, on what amounts to increased rate of suicides in India
1. Unrealistic expectations - These days kids as young as 3 to 4 years are expected to be all rounders and perform well in every field. Childhood is meant to be enjoyed and not to be stressed about who makes it to the new Reality TV Show. Let your children grow up slowly and naturally accepting and enjoying their innocence. Immense pressure to succeed and disappointment on unable to do so builds up at an early age, which leads to stress and a sense of failure. Sometimes such people do not have any other option except to end their lives because they do not want to be puppets.
2. Lack of Appreciation - Many a times we as a parent and as a part of the society fail to appreciate a child's achievement. Lack of appreciation in achieving small milestones ultimately builds up in a child. He desperately tries to please anyone and everyone, they may be right or wrong people. When he feels even despite his hardwork, he has not been appreciated, such people finally resort to suicide.
3. Every child is different - Remember, every child is different. Do not compare them with others. It may be important to appreciate children for their differences. Constant comparison with others builds a tendency to compare themselves to others at every stage. Instead of appreciating themselves, these kids end up comparing themselves to others, which builds up unnecessary stress and forces them to end their lives.
4. Absence of close ones - Many a times we see that a lot of people end their lives, when someone close to them looses their lives. Sometimes teenage children who loose their parents due to various reasons (Death or Divorce) or elders due to break up or divorce or distant relationship feel their life is unworthy of living. It is absolutely normal for people to be attached to people but alas human lives are not forever. Sometimes, we as a society fail to understand the vaccum created in an individuals life and therefore, such people may feel that death may reunite them with their dear ones.
5. Vulnerability- It may start off as just being emotionally attached to certain materialistic things like alcohol, drugs, sex to replace vacuum in life.Once a person is frustrated and reaches the saturation point he may decide to end his life because of frustration. People who are addicted to these vices cannot think of life beyond these obsessions. Therefore, it is important to ensure that we take care of our near and dear ones at all times and do not leave them emotionally vulnerable.
While, the above are a few reasons, why a person may end his `life, there are a few more issues such as Economic stress, Dowry Death (which are many a times covered up as accidents or suicides). It is more important that we as human beings train ourselves to listen better because a lot of times, these victims just need someone to hear them out.
Many a times, it is lack of resources to vent out their feelings that causes them to take such a drastic step in life. Each life is precious and is one of God's best creation. No body has the right to end it...even he himself...Only God has the permission to call a soul back.