Click here for shortcuts to regional language blogs and city-specific events.
Let me start with an incident that happened a few days ago. One of my
The long story short - kids are as independent and brave as parents allow them to be.
It’s so sad that we want a happy childhood for our kids, but don’t let them have one. By our constant hovering and unnecessary attention, we rob them of their independence, imagination, creativity and willpower.
Another thing that bothers me a lot these days is the eerie silence in the society playgrounds and parks. There are no kids to play outdoor games like
hide and seek, hopscotch, land and water, lock and key, gully cricket, etc. Why? Because they are too busy hopping classes - drawing class, English language class, Abacus workshop, chess class, music and dance class, computer class.
Seriously, if only we would realize how important these ‘silly’ games are? They help kids bond, search, explore, experiment, learn and grow. No class can teach kids important life skills that a playground can.
- When a child falls down on the ground, she will learn to get up on her own. Because, you won’t be always around to help her.
- When she becomes a
- When she plays with a team, she will learn to adjust and bond with her team members.
- When she leads a team, she will acquire and hone her leadership skills.
- When she fights with her friends and comes back home upset, she will learn that the world, including her friends cannot work according to her wishes and command, and that people can have
- When she hurts herself, she will learn that life is not a bed of roses.
A playground, apart from providing playful moments, also provides new experiences to children on a daily basis.
Parenting is not only about feeding and soothing the child. It’s about nurturing the child’s body, mind and soul. Only when we set our kids free, will they be free to learn and grow.
Childhood is an awesome time of the life, as only we can know and be nostalgic about it. How about remembering our happy childhood, where we played carefree and without a moment’s worry? How about creating a similar childhood for our kids as well? Let’s pledge a Khuljaaye Bachpan for our kids – a carefree, unfettered and fearless
Image credit: www.providencephysicians-sc.com