Damaging immune response by the body to a substance, especially a particular food, pollen, fur, or dust, to which it has become hypersensitive.
A child could be allergic to any food, the eight common allergens are:
- Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Soy, Wheat.
- Tree nuts (such as walnuts and cashews)
- Fish, Shellfish (such as shrimp)
If your child does these things, put their hands in their mouths or scratch at their tongues in response to a reaction. Observe the child’s voices it may change (e.g., become hoarse or squeaky), and they may slur their words.
The following phrase a child might use to describe a food allergy reaction:
- "Tongue is hot or burning."
- "This food is very spicy."
- "Ma something’s poking my tongue."
- "My tongue or mouth is tingling or burning."
- "My tongue or mouth itches." Feels like scratching with spoon
- "I feel in my tongue like there is hair on it."
- "There’s something stuck in my throat and is poking inside."
- "Mom can’t move my tongue, it feels full or heavy or thick"
- "Look my lips feel tight, can’t feel if u touch”
- "It feels like there are bugs in there." (to describe itchy ears)
- "It my throat feels thick."
- "It feels like a bump is on the back of my tongue throat."
Observe these symptoms:
- Swelling of the lips, tongue, and/or throat.
- Trouble swallowing liquid or semisolid.
- Shortness of breath or wheezing, nose block. Check the breathing pattern by keeping your finger near his nose and mouth.
- Turning blue, ask the child to show the tongue
- Drop in blood pressure (feeling faint, confused, weak, passing out)
- A weak or “thread” pulse followed by Loss of consciousness
- Chest pain: ask the child to show the area of discomfort.
- Discomfort - Loosen the clothes like tie, belt, and tight hair clip for any discomfort.
Allergy Test - During the first type of skin test, a drop of a suspected allergen is pricked or scratched on the surface of the skin. The test is performed on the back or forearm. Many suspected allergens are tested at the same time. If you are allergic to one of the tests, you will have redness and swelling at the test spot.