Vastu shastra is a traditional Hindu system of architecture which literally translates to "science of architecture." These are texts found on the Indian subcontinent that describe principles of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement and spatial geometry.
Balancing the 5 elements - Earth, Air, Water, Fire and Space is the secret behind this science. See our marvelous temples to inspire.
Principles of Vastu Architecture
- Sun light and Direction: The Solar energy or first rays of sun is most healing and nourishing when it is rising. East facing buildings / house brings the greatest benefits to the health and success of their occupants. The orientation of a building has a dramatic and easily-measured impact upon the quality of life of its occupants.
- Ventilation – Yes oxygen is our prana and breath.
- Placement of Rooms: The sun has differing qualities of energy as it moves across the sky. Hence buildings are designed to suit different activities that we perform within the various rooms of a home are aligned with the appropriate quality of the sun.
- Proportion: RightProportion is a key to successful design and style. Right proportion and measurement in buildings strengthen the connection of our individual intelligence to Cosmic Intelligence.
- Natural and Nontoxic Materials as per DESH / Kaal / Vartamaan:An important aspect of vasthu architecture is building sustainably with natural, non-toxic materials suitable to the local needs like country you reside, climate it has most of the time. Find out suitable materials such as wood, brick, and rammed earth within your reach. Look for natural finishes like clay, marble, ceramic tile, natural fibre for carpets, curtains and furniture, and healthy, natural, non-toxic paints and glues.
- Vastus also take into consideration other important influences, such as:
- Slope of the land – hillock slope, un even terrains, water beds are factors to be seen
- Shape of the land – square, rectangular, pentagon sites shape of land to decide upon your dream home.
- Unobstructed rising sun – Certain parts of house will get ample sun light some none so need to play with it.
- Influences in the environment, including water bodies – lake near the house, cremation ground near house have direct influence don’t neglect them.
- Auspicious timing – Highly individualistic, not in the scope of this article.
Want to say one most important thing, the key is BUDGET or MONEY; never do some suggestions which pinch your pocket. If some great vasthu consultant asks you to demolish your whole house/home which costs lakhs and lakh don’t do it blindly even if you have the money to rebuild.