Click here for shortcuts to regional language blogs and city-specific events.
The famous quote says, “Prevention is better than cure” and “A stitch in time saves nine”. We need to apply this in our day-to-day lives.The rainy season has started and common ailments like cold, cough and fever have started their rounds of guest visits to all families and saying a “Hi “ to elders and kids. We need to increase the immunity Power of our kids, to help them fight these ailments.
Immunity is defined as the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells. As all Mothers are aware, we need to build immunity in our kids with natural foods and Ayurveda methods. If your kids are fussy eaters like mine, then it becomes a Herculean task, to make them eat the right kind of food.
I would like to discuss here few things which would help in increasing the immunity strength of kids.
• Fruits and vegetables: Immunity is increased by immunity-boosting phytonutrients like vitamin C and carotenoids. Fruits rich in vitamin c like lemon, oranges, and vegetables like carrots and green beans need to be served to the kids in the form, they love to eat. Giving lemonade with honey mixed with Luke warm of water, would help the child immensely.
• Proper Sleep time: Few kids have the habit of sleeping late with the parents and have a disturbed sleep. Young children should get enough sleep, so that they can get up in the morning for a fresh day. The digestive system also works well, when the body rests properly. Studies say that Preschoolers need 10 hours of sleep and Young kids may need 8 hours to 10 hours of sleep. As many schools start by 8 am to 9 am, the importance of getting up early, with proper sleep in the night is very important.
• Pressure on pediatrician: When you’re child suffers from simple cold or fever, don’t pressurize the pediatrician for antibiotics or heavy dose medicines. Let the pediatrician or the professional decide, what is best for your kid. Please don’t use self-medications for kids.
• Exercise for your kids: Give enough time for your kids to play with his/her friends in open area or by involving themselves in some sports. You can practice exercise as a family too. When kids see us parents taking care of our bodies with a healthy routine, then our kids, will follow suit.
• Nuts: Every family needs nuts, as you always have a family member, who is going nuts for everything. Fun apart, a serving of nuts like almonds, peanuts, which is available in kitchen, helps in boosting the immunity power to a great extent. Nuts have immunity boosting power from zinc, vitamin B and iron. They also have the source of added vitamins and minerals, which boost the immunity system.
All content here, is the personal opinion for general boost of immunity system of an experienced mother. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor for advice on your kid’s health.