Come winters and chilly mornings. You might just want to cook a late breakfast and early lunch. Let’s call it Brunch. Here is one of the delectable recipes which satisfies your taste buds, is made from seasonal vegetables, keeps your body warm, and is easy to prepare and is equally nutritious .Being from a Punjabi household this is one of my favorite.
- Fresh Green Methi leaves(1 bunch)
- About two radishes
- 150-200 grams Makki ka Atta,50grms of simple wheat atta
- Ginger-garlic-green chili paste(1 spoon)
- Salt,zeera powder,ajwain,haldi,lal mirch,kali mirch(according to taste)
- Mustard oil(25-30 ml)(any oil of your choice)
- About 1 cup of warm water for kneading
- A clean plastic sheet for making rotis.
- Clean , chop and wash fresh green methi leaves(wash thoroughly)
- Grate Radish(Muli)(do not grate too thin).Squeeze only extra water. Do not squeeze too tight.
- Mix makki ka atta,wheat atta, methi leaves, radish and all other dry ingredients except mustard oil. Knead the dough slowly using warm water. Use minimum water and make dough that is not too loose. Use water sparingly. Use knuckles for kneading. Knead for 5-7 minutes.
- Keep the dough aside for half an hour covered with a lid.
- Now Heat the tawa on high flame. Tawa should be quiet hot for rotis.
- Use 2 clean plastic sheets(cleaned and dried milk packet sheet works fine) and dip your fingers in hot water and take a small amount of dough, make dough wet and start spreading it on the plastic sheet with wet fingers. Now put drop of oil on second sheet, spread oil, put sheet on top of dough making sure oil side is upside down. Move the sheets round and round with help of your fingers so that rotis are rolled out. Here dough should not be too dry and roll thick rotis as compared to normal atta rotis.
- On a very hot tawa, put the makki rotis by separating it slowly from both the plastic sheets. Put mustard oil around the rotis and as they change color, turn them over and apply oil on both sides. Its takes 5-7 minutes for one roti.While turning the roti over be careful not to break it. Use a flat spatula.
- Once cooked on both sides, serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-Dollop of home butter, fresh dahi,gajar gobi shalgam ka achaar.Yes a cup of adrak chai completes the brunch.
Serves about 2 people and makes 6-7 Makki ki rotis
Clean methi beforehand. Use warm water to knead the dough. The dough should not be loose but while rolling rotis with hand ,wet the dough enough so that it spreads easily. do not roll thin rotis. Make small rotis to begin with.