It is very easy for each one of us to complain about climate change, but are doing our bit to stop it or at least delay it ?
Here is a list of few things we can do in our day-to-day life to help bring a change.
The tips I am going to give today, are all related to cutting down the use of plastics / chemicals to make this earth a better place to live in. We all know that most plastics are non-biodegradable or take over 500 years to decompose. If we are finding it too difficult to live without plastics, we can and we must try to REDUCE, REUSE and RECYCLE.
1. Drink in GLASS, and skip the straw. Do we really need to drink from a straw or disposable glasses ? Carry your own steel tumbler / sipper. Avoid straws at restaurant / bars / street hawkers.
2. Carry your own water bottle too and avoid buying bottled water when you are out / travelling. You can be sure you are drinking clean water at a much cheaper cost.
3. Always keep a few spoons / folks with you while traveling or in your car. Have you seen these really cool edible spoons ? http://youtu.be/deDlrkhLsTw
4. Use reusable utensils at parties or bio-degradable ones.. Try a menu that will need less or no straws / plastic cutlery.
5. Encourage the use of wooden toys / games made of recycled papers. You can find them at flea markets / dilli haat or even online.
6. Save and reuse the glass jars so you don't need to buy Tupperware. This will save you a lot of money too.
7. Always keep a reusable cloth bag handy. Even if you just buying a few fruits or a loaf of bread, tell the seller that you don't need the plastic bag. Trust me, they will appreciate it.
8. Use your own steel utensils when you want a takeaway from that restaurant down the road. Do you know how harmful it is to eat hot food from plastic containers ? Think twice before you eat your favourite curry out of the plastic container from the restaurant.
9. Start composting so you don't end up using 100s of bin bags.
10. And to all the ladies and moms, reduce or stop the use of sanitary napkins / tampons / kids diapers / adult diapers. Each pad is equivalent to 4 plastic bags. We have menstrual cups, cloth pads, cloth diapers, incontinence briefs.. These are great alternatives.