I have been meaning to write a few more articles since a few weeks, but was so busy with lectures/events/office and personal commitments that I wasn't getting a chance. And tonight, when I couldn't fall asleep, I felt like writing. Since it is past my usual bedtime, and I don't feel as active as I would in the morning, I decided to write a "List-icle" instead of my usual blogs. And like always, I want to write to promote sustainable living.
Here are a few reasons why I believe every women should switch to a menstrual cup.
- It is just awesome.
- You will realise that menstrual blood does not smell bad.
- You will not need to throw your plastic packed pads in the bin for cows to eat.
- One cup can save over 3000 pads - from being dumped in the landfill for around 800 years each.
- It is a comfort, that feels like luxury at the price of necessity. Yes, cups save you money. Do the maths and see how much you spend on pads in 10 years.
- It will not release scary chemicals in your body to cause various diseases like your pad would.
- It will not suck important nutrients from your skin.
- You will not get any rashes down there, as it will keep you clean and dry all day.
- You can run, swim, sleep or do anything that you want.
- You don't have to wear granny pants because you are menstruating.
- Don't have to go buy disposables every month.
- You won't even realise you are wearing it.
- It is amazing for heavy flows and clots.
- It looks small, but it can actually hold more than pads and tampons so you don't need to empty it as often as you change your pads.
- You get more comfortable with your body and learn a lot of new things.
- You can keep track of your menstrual flow.
- Not to forget, you can can pee / poop with the cup inside.One down side - You will forget you are on your period and might have to set alarms to empty the cup every 4-10 hours !
I hope this can change your mind.
Switch to the cup, if not for the environment, then for your own health.