Click here for shortcuts to regional language blogs and city-specific events.
Cakes are the best expression of love and care for your near and dear ones. No celebration is complete without a cake. Some people like chocolate cake, some like fruit cake, few like sponge cake without icing. Whatever is their choice, we need to prepare sponge cake before we proceed for the icing. Here is the easiest and simplest recipe for preparing vanilla sponge cake (this sponge cake is used as base for any fruit cake).
This recipe is an eggless version but is equally spongy and tasty.
Vanilla Sponge Cake (for 1 kg container)
400 grams milkmaid
120 grams unsalted butter
240 grams all purpose flour (maida)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup Luke warm water
1. Sieve flour with baking powder and soda.
2. Add butter and milkmaid. Beat (using beater) till thick and fluffy.
3. In the above mix, add 2 spoons of flour and beat it. Then add little water and beat it. Keep on doing it till you mix all flour and water.
4. Add essence and beat well. The cake batter is ready.
5. Grease the mould by applying ghee or butter in it.
6. After greasing, dust (sprinkle little flour on it) to cover the ghee in the mould. (the cake comes out clean and easily from the vessel if you do the greasing and dusting properly)
7. Pour into the grease and dust mould and bake at 180 degree Celsius for 40 minutes.
8. Check with a tooth pick by inserting it in the center. If the tooth pick comes out clean, the sponge cake is ready. If it doesn’t come out clean, bake it for 5 or 10 more minutes.
1. If you want to make any fruit cake, prepare sponge accordingly. For example: If you want to make pineapple cake, instead of vanilla essence, use pineapple essence. For strawberry cake, use strawberry essence.
2. This recipe makes colorless cake. If you wish to have a colored cake (yellow for pineapple, red for strawberry), add 1 tsp respective color in the final mix of cake. You can adjust the quantity of color as per the desired color. I usually avoid using colors in my baking and cooking.
So try this simple and easy recipe and let me know how it came out for you. Feel free to ask if you have any doubts, I would be happy to reply to your queries. Don’t forget to share your experience in comments.